It's not that I don't want to write. I do still like to write. Recently, while at a gathering of very creative friends, someone shared some beautiful poetry they had written. Afterward, my friend turned to me and said, "You should start writing again."
Yes. I should.
I don't consider myself a writer. Perhaps I'm more of a "thoughts into words" kind of girl. I have dabbled in poetry in the past, but that's mostly for private viewing.
This blog, however - I need to pay more attention to it. So today, I want to write about blessedness.
I think there can be an arrogance to this word, especially in North America. We say we are blessed and what we really mean is that we are so glad we're not like many others in the world. This world can be a nasty place. Sex trafficking in Cambodia to stabbings in Vancouver to the ravages of terminal disease.
But this post is not about that. I simply want to express, with as much humility as I can, how I have been overwhelmed with an awareness of my blessedness in recent weeks. These are my "thoughts into words." A list of sorts.
Doing what I love.
Smiles, laughter, banter, jokes at the rink with my girls.
An open sheet of ice, all to myself.
Being welcomed into homes, lives, families.
An extremely generous friend.
Divine provision.
Being privy to acts of courage,
Expressions of love,
Heartfelt compliments,
And faith in action.
A faithful family heritage.
Laughter and kisses from my nephew.
Friends who listen.
Snow-topped mountains in the sun.
A loving and dangerous God,
My portion forever.
"... My cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever."
Psalm 23:5b-6 KJV
Yes. I should.
I don't consider myself a writer. Perhaps I'm more of a "thoughts into words" kind of girl. I have dabbled in poetry in the past, but that's mostly for private viewing.
This blog, however - I need to pay more attention to it. So today, I want to write about blessedness.
I think there can be an arrogance to this word, especially in North America. We say we are blessed and what we really mean is that we are so glad we're not like many others in the world. This world can be a nasty place. Sex trafficking in Cambodia to stabbings in Vancouver to the ravages of terminal disease.
But this post is not about that. I simply want to express, with as much humility as I can, how I have been overwhelmed with an awareness of my blessedness in recent weeks. These are my "thoughts into words." A list of sorts.
Doing what I love.
Smiles, laughter, banter, jokes at the rink with my girls.
An open sheet of ice, all to myself.
Being welcomed into homes, lives, families.
An extremely generous friend.
Divine provision.
Being privy to acts of courage,
Expressions of love,
Heartfelt compliments,
And faith in action.
A faithful family heritage.
Laughter and kisses from my nephew.
Friends who listen.
Snow-topped mountains in the sun.
A loving and dangerous God,
My portion forever.
"... My cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever."
Psalm 23:5b-6 KJV
5 comments:
Some would say that is poetry :P
I'm not a religious person, so 'blessedness' isn't really a concept I identify with. But just a week or two ago, I made a list just like that. Maybe as just a way of expressing to myself how grateful I am for certain things in my life.
I've already had to cross one off just days later, though. Funny how that works.
I'm curious who this is? I know most of my readers (and I don't think there are many) so I'm curious how you found my blog? Or perhaps you're not new?
And yes, it may be poetry but it was not written as poetry. Haha. For some reason that feels different to me.
I feel awfully cowardly saying "no comment" in response to that. However.
Hm, well, I would invite you to email me then. You can click on my profile in the top right and then on "email" to do so.
As this blog is not available on a search engine and the URL has only been given out to people I know, we probably know each other.
To be honest, I can respect your wishes to remain anonymous to others who may read this blog. But considering that you have access to some of my inner and potentially vulnerable thoughts (on a blog that is not public), for the sake of reciprocity, I would really appreciate knowing who you are. It would make me feel more comfortable about continuing to use this blog in its current format.
A couple years ago one of our Pastors challenged everyone to take a little notebook and start writing down all of the things that we are thankful for - big and little. I think I'm going to do that now. There are the obvious things - health, good marriage etc. but there are so many things that my eyes have been opened to in this past year with Emmit. The other day we spent half an hour cracking and playing with ice on the sidewalk. It's so beautiful when you hold the glassy panes up to the sunlight. How magical that moment was with him, and how beautiful the simplest things can be. Thanks for the reminder :)
Post a Comment