| Chelsa and I in Prague, 2007 |
You may remember that in August of 2007, I was able to be part of a team of Canadian women who traveled to Prague, Czech Republic to compete in a friendly women’s ice hockey tournament. We were under the umbrella of Athletes in Action (AIA). I won't summarize that trip here, as you can read my previous blog post about it. However, I will tell you that one of my teammates was Chelsa Heywood, who remained in Prague as an intern with AIA.
Chelsa and I have stayed in touch since then and there were plans to put together another team like the one in 2007 and return to Prague. The tour was set to depart in August 2010 but it was canceled due to a lack of applicants. Around then, Chelsa started talking to me about possibly being part of another trip in December with a different format, but this time to Slovakia...
![]() |
| City Centre, Presov, Slovakia |
So we are doing it! Chelsa and I have flights booked to Eastern Europe from December 4th to 15th. We will again be under the umbrella of AIA. The majority of the time will be spent in the city of Presov, Slovakia. Chelsa has a friend in Presov named Martina Sasova whom she met in previous years in Prague. Martina is a member of a women’s hockey team called “Sarisanka Presov.” Consisting of about 20 women, a few of the team members are part of the Slovak national women’s hockey program. Therefore, some of these girls were 2010 Olympians. Martina is a passionate follower of Jesus and has been able to start a Bible study and prayer group with about five other Christians from the team. She has invited us to come and we hope to spend time encouraging Martina and the other believers, take part in some ice times with the team, and share about our own lives and relationships with Jesus. We also plan to bring some training equipment as a gift for them. As well, our time in Eastern Europe will begin with a quick (but surely intense) stop in Krakow, Poland to visit the site of Auschwitz, only a short train ride from Presov. And after our time in Presov, we will hop another train to revisit the beautiful city of Prague, Czech Republic before flying back to Canada.
It's no secret that I am passionate about women's hockey. I am so grateful to God for the opportunities I have had over the last few years: playing in Vancouver, coaching in Vancouver and other parts of Western Canada, traveling to Russia, the Czech Republic, and now Slovakia. All because of this sport that I love and a passion God has put on my heart.
I am looking forward to learning from these girls: to hear their stories and to see what it looks like to have a Bible study and prayer group with teammates. Of course, Chelsa and I want Jesus to shine through our lives and testimonies.
Here is the budget for this trip:
![]() |
| Slovak Flag |
$1700-Flights (accounting for extra baggage costs)
$200-Transportation (PL to SK to CZ)
$300-Food
$400-Accommodation
$15-Insurance (provided through AIA)
$150-Equipment
$100-Sightseeing
$2865-TOTAL (per person)
Firstly, Chelsa and I both ask for your prayers. We really hope that in our short amount of time in Presov, we can build some friendships that will last. Pray that Jesus’ name will be glorified and our lips will be quick to honour Him in all we do. Also, pray for safety and health in our travels, and for our time on the ice. I think of Colossions 4:2-6:
Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ... Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act towards outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
If you wish to partner with us in prayer, please contact me so we can keep in touch with you about specific prayer requests.
Secondly, I am in need of financial partners. I am praying for at least $3500 to be given towards this trip. This would include booking flights home to Alberta for the Christmas holidays shortly after I return to Vancouver. Please prayerfully consider coming alongside me and helping in this way!
If you wish to partner with me in finances, please click here or on the link in the sidebar named "YWAM Canada Project Funding." Please act quickly, as Chelsa and I are boarding the plane in one month exactly!
If you wish to partner with me in finances, please click here or on the link in the sidebar named "YWAM Canada Project Funding." Please act quickly, as Chelsa and I are boarding the plane in one month exactly!
Thank you for reading, and for supporting me over the years through thoughts, letters, prayers, finances, etc. Together we are the body of Christ!


2 comments:
dearest krista.
I'm so glad you're going. I know I already told you. But I just read your blob again, and decided I'm happy again. :)
...yay!
and by blob...I meant blog :D
Post a Comment