In my attempt to be nostalgic in my last blog post, it turns out I have no memory for the nostalgic. After that last post, my mom told me that actually that wasn't the prayer. I took a poll with my siblings and apparently I am the one with no memory on this really. We actually prayed this before bed each night:
Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
Keep my safely through the night
And wake me with the morning light
For Jesus sake, Amen
My brother Mike pointed out to me that we said it really really fast each night, which I do remember, so it actually sounded more like this:
Nwlayme dnslp; pray thLord my sl tkeep; keep me sfy throoth'night; wakemewith th'mornin'light. Jsssake, Aaaaamn
And just to continue the nostalgia, this is what my mom used to pray each night as she grew up in Holland:
Ik ga slapen, ik ben moe,
'k sluit mijn beide oogjes toe,
Heere, houdt ook deze nacht,
over mij getrouw de wacht.
Amen
Which translates to say:
I am going to sleep, I am tired,
I am closing both my eyes,
Lord, keep also this night,
Faithfully watch over me.
Amen
So there you have it. I've righted my wrong...
And I'm very annoyed cuz I can't get the fonts on this post to look the same. Stupid blogger...
No comments:
Post a Comment